Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Brush Pen



During a Sketchcrawl in April (The above pic is from the most recent crawl), I discovered the benefits of sketching with one of those Faber Castell PITT brush pens. I have pretty much been sketching on location exclusively with this pen ever since. I think I like it so much because it forces me to loosen up, and only put down the most essential of details.

I went through a tree obsession a while ago, here's a selection of trees.









The View from our apartment balcony...





















8 comments:

Garrett Shikuma said...

These came out Fantastic, John!
Yeah I like sketching in brush pen too. Sometimes I get caught up trying to redraw the same line over and over with a pencil. The brush really does help my concentration and forces me to put down only the strokes that count. Great stuff!!!

monkeyfeather said...

Thanks Garrett.

Harper said...

These are rad, John.
I especially like the trees.

Ted M said...

Great sketches, John. I'm really digging that birch tree.

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Cool sketches, John. It seems you and I share a love of PITT pens and trees.

Robert Islas said...

neat.

monkeyfeather said...

Thanks guys.

rory said...

nice sketches, airports always provide a great variety of people. If you want to see some great characters I suggest the Greyhound bus station in downtown LA.....or any Wal-mart.....both can be scary tho'.....