Monday, November 26, 2007

RAGNAROCK


I ended up doing two paintings for the latest Maverix Studios auction this time. To learn more about the auction, check out the MAVERIX link on the right.

The first painting is called RagnaROCK. Hopefully I can put my obsession with drawing vikings to rest now that this painting has gotten it out of my system? This is 8"X10" acrylic on illustration board

The painting below is my second for the auction, and is quite obviously titled, "She Dreams of Pop Stardom." When I set out to do the two paintings, I had no intention of making them thematically linked by music, but it happened. When I was sketching out the viking, he was holding an actual axe and then I thought what if he's holding an AXE? Next thing I knew, I was drawing a guitar. Then I moved onto the girl, and the title popped into my head. I also decided I wanted to do something that incorporated lettering. This one is 5"X7" Acrylic and Gouache on watercolour paper. The lettering is gouache, everything else is Acrylic.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Rock on! Very cool painting. I'm diggin it.

mike said...

hah! that viking certainly does rock!

Unknown said...

AWESOME!

Gerald de Dios said...

MAn, You're paintings skills are crazy. Rock on dude!

craig said...

Dude, you totally RAGNO-ROCKED these paintings! Very nice sir.

Scott Watanabe said...

I wish I had an Axe that rocked that hard. Looking good.

marco's blog said...

oh man, great stuff, especially love her expression on the second one!!

Mike Thompson said...

Great!

Trey Francisco said...

John I just won Ragnarock in the auction 30 minutes ago. I love it!

Brutally rock and roll...

Will there be more band members coming along? One lone viking dude does not a band make...

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Superb work !!!

Le Tang said...

How have you been? Nice piece. I'm pretty disappointed I missed the auction.

monkeyfeather said...

Thanks everybody!

Le, I'm disappointed you missed it as well. Good times.

Joe Karg said...

Sweet Viking. I wish I could have been a the auction.

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

That Racknarock is a helluva painting. Nice job! I endeavor to paint as well as that.

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of my oldest son on Guitar Hero. Drop me a line. :-)

monkeyfeather said...

Thanks Joe and pumml.

BRIEN MANNING!!!

Paul Conrad said...

John,
It was good to meet you in person at the auction.
Great pieces too.... I like Trey's suggestion.
Let's see the rest of the band!

Katy Hargrove said...

These are particularly badass!