Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Thumbnails



So I did this drawing last year I think... maybe it was before that. Doesn't matter...Or does it!? Maybe my memory is shot. Old age is setting in? Oh god, what if this is it? I thought I was still young, but really I'm on the downhill slide. It's over, I'm past my prime I'm... Well, I'm lucky I'm not some sort of hypochondriac otherwise, this lack of clear memory might bother me.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah... I did this drawing a while ago and people kept asking what the story behind the drawing was. I started thinking about it and this has been swimming around in my head for a while now. I think this is that story. The beginings of a 3 page story. Here are the thumbnails, more to come once the wedding stuff slows down.

Thumbnails, an interesting term. Artists know what it is, not exclusively of course, but it seems to throw a lot of people off. "What does planning have to do with your thumb nails?" I've been asked that before. I guess every industry or skill has it's own terminology, this is one of ours. I was going somewhere with this, but the train of thought has pulled out of the station. Does that make it more of a non sequitur now?

Any ways like I said, more to follow. I'm not sure what I want to do next. Larger, more detailed thumbnail/roughs or just go to the pencils on the final page. I think there are going to be a few panels that are going to cause some drawing issues for me and I would like to work them out before I erase a hole in the final page, but that brings with it the risk that the final drawings will be stiff from repetition and transferring the work. Don't want to lose that spontaneity. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out before the next post.

Good luck figuring out what's going on in these, lots of replacement panels etc. Will give you a blurry question mark as to where I'm going, but maybe when it's done you'll go "Oh, I see what he did. I see what that was." Or, it might end up like LOST where you're all "Huh? That's it? What about the smoke creature, and that giant foot statue?"

Geez, does this guy ever shut up? He posts these tiny little drawings that don't even make sense, AND he wants me to read all of this rambling crap?

No comments: