Thursday, February 01, 2007

Digital Paint



So, like I said in my previous post, I have been fighting a bit of a block. I took a different approach this time. It may turn out to be more of a distraction than a solution, only time will tell. I started doing quick digital "paintings." No roughs, no prelim drawings. Just blocking in shapes in photoshop and builing it until I get somewhere. This one is a little more drawn, but the lines were knocked in after the shapes and forms were set with blocks of colour. Get's me thinking a little differently which is good... I think.

This took about 1 1/2 hours. I think my next one I might try a bit more rendering, but try to keep it simple. Or maybe I'll just go nuts with the texture. I'm trying to approach these as more detailed colour keys, but not full blown rendered images.

9 comments:

craig said...

That's a sweet post Jo! Now you gotta post the other one

Martin Wittig said...

Nice!:)

orbit over luna said...

nice one, john. I really like the tones in the out-of-focus clouds.

monkeyfeather said...

Thanks Steve! When are you gonna post more of those sweet cop characters? Love that new rough style.

Thanks Shannon, Martin and Ber!!!

I'm not sure if I'll post the other one.

Gerald de Dios said...

Nice John. That's really awesome for under 1 1/2 hour!

Dan said...

very nice.

Anonymous said...

Really nice painting, love the composition :)

sourgrapes said...

Beautiful drawing!! The clouds really remind me of a Miyasaki film ^^. Can't wait to see more.

monkeyfeather said...

Thanks Gerald, crylic and Andy.

Thanks for the kudos sourgrapes, I LOVE Miyazaki's films, so that's a huge compliment... even if it is just in regards to clouds.